Southport had one final hurdle before they could book their place in the FA Cup first round. Fellow National League North side Altrincham stood in their way.

First Half

Altrincham started strong hitting the side netting early into the game after forcing a strong save from Southport keeper Charlie Albinson. The resulting corner was headed over.

Altrincham winger John Johnston cut inside and shot narrowly wide of the Southport goal. Southport’s first chance of the game came from David Morgan after forward Raul Correia won the ball, his cut back to Morgan resulted in the captain’s tame effort falling into keeper Tony Thompsons arms.

An Altrincham counter attack fell to Johnston who once again cut inside onto his strong foot before firing wide. Altrincham had started much better than Southport who had been sluggish when they had the ball.

Southport had a big chance to score when Jack Doyle flashed a ball across the Altrincham box the ball fell to Jack Sampson who could not get a strong connection on the ball and the chance was cleared.

Johnston had been causing Southport major problems. Right back Reagan Ogle struggled to prevent the winger from cutting in onto his stronger foo, Johnston had multiple chances to score but was struggling with getting the ball on target.

Southport winger Devarn Green was providing all of the effort going forward he had skipped past two Altrincham players before his shot was saved by Thompson.

Greens was involved again as Sampson flicked the ball on to the winger who brought down through a heavy challenge from Shaun Densmore.

The game heated up following the challenge, Correia brought the ball towards the Altrincham goal but when he extended to reach a heavy touch he was tackled and remained down for some time whilst getting treatment.

A big penalty shout went up after Green was pushed in the back but nothing was given.

Southport had grown into the game as the half went on. A free kick floated in gave them a great chance to go 1-0 up but was wasted.

Only a few minutes later Altrincham would capitalise on a chance to make it 1-0 forward Jordan Hulme bending a shot into the goal ending the momentum of the game that had swung in Southport’s favour.

The first half drew to a close with Altrincham nearly making it two after a poor clearance.

Second Half

The second half picked up where it left off. Altrincham made it 2-0 winger Tom Peers forced Albinson into a save but his parried effort fell right back at Peers’ feet as he tapped it home to double the away sides lead.

Southport took time to recover from the blow their first chance coming again from captain Morgan who once again did not trouble Thompson who made a comfortable save.

The away side made it 3-0 when Hulme curled the ball into the far right of the goal scoring his second of the game. It was almost 4 as Dean Winnard’s heavy back pass bounced off of the Southport keeper almost gifting Hulme his hat-trick but the striker chose to go down to win a penalty but was waved away.

Peers hit the bar with an audacious strike from the edge of the box.

Southport got a goal back through substitute Zehn Mohammed who headed home cross from another substitute Connor Woods.

The goal sparked Southport’s attack who won a free kick in injury time. Doyle’s free kick was saved by Thompson and the last chance of the game fell to the away side via Hancock who volleyed wide.

The game came to a close with Southport being beaten comfortably 3-1 in front of the 1,507 strong crowd.