Firwood Waterloo rugby club has commemorated 100 years at the Memorial ground – but Covid restrictions have stopped any major celebrations for their loyal supporters.

The Merseyside club moved to the Memorial ground in March 1921 after Rex Schofield the 1890’s captain suggested a new home for the team.

Coming just after the First World War, it was decided that the new ground should be the memorial to Waterloo’s war dead.

It was hoped it would bring growth more quickly and more strongly than it could ever have done at previous ground Haig Road.

There was also hope the new ground would help establish the club in the very top divisions, attracting in the best players and bringing the best facilities possible.

This was one of the very first match day programmes for the club showing them sporting a green red and white kit which is odd as you’ll see waterloo in the classic myrtle and scarlet in todays age.

Another local Liverpool side in Birkenhead Park has always brought a real derby to the memorial ground attracting up to 10,000 fans in the early 1900s.

However this derby is still a big game today.

Pete Cureton, of Firwood Waterloo, said they try to stage the match as a game like it used to be.

“We try to recreate boozers bank where we assume our positions and shout the team on!” he said.

“But what you have to understand about rugby is it’s hard as nails on the pitch but as soon as the full time whistle blows we all just have a drink in the bar.

“At our level we are the best supported side in the league. We have lots of fans that travel, at times there are more Waterloo supporters than home supporters.”

Pete also spoke about one of his major highlights whilst supporting the Crosby-based club across the past years as that of the 2003/2004 season.

They won promotion to the National League Division Two as well as playing in the Powergen final at Twickenham.

“We were voted Rugby World magazine team of the year, that was great, the final game was very edgy we knew all we had to do is win.

“The scenes at the end everyone was on the pitch, the players were hugging each other, we had tough seasons before. Probably in last 17 years that was the biggest event.”

Covid 19 has of course also massively affected the small club that runs on small amounts of money and huge volunteering.

So, in a 100-year celebration like this at St Anthony’s Road, not having an event on and fans there really makes a difference.

“It has stopped all forms of income and without income we really don’t have a club,” added Pete.

“We have all just missed out on getting together and watching rugby with a pint of beer in our hands.”

However, Pete stayed strong on the fact the fans will be back soon and looks forward onto being able to start up again for another decade of triumph for the Firwood.

Listen to the full interview, below: