Tranmere Rovers set up a monster clash with Manchester United in the fourth round of the FA Cup after beating Premier League Watford 2-1 in extra-time.

Prenton Park was bouncing as Paul Mullin’s 104th-minute winner gave the Super Whites a super win after a dominating display.

Micky Mellon’s side battled back from 3-0 down in the reverse fixture at Vicarage Road and looked a class above their Premier League opponents in the first 45. Corey Blackett-Taylor squandered two golden chances to go ahead before the half-hour mark.

Tranmere did finally make one of the chances count in the 36th-minute when Manny Monthe stroked home after a scramble inside the Watford penalty area.

Nigel Pearson looked to the bench at the interval and his decision was rewarded when Kayden Hinds steered home in the 67th-minute to take the tie to extra-time before Mullin sealed the victory.

With an FA Cup fourth-round tie against Manchester United at stake, we saw a tightly-contested first 10 minutes at Prenton Park.

However, it was the League One side who were doing most of the running. Morgan Ferrier looked lively on the left, using his skill and pace to trouble Watford left-back Mason Barrett in the early exchanges.

However, despite Rovers’ commanding much of the early possession, it was the Premier League side who had the first real chance. Watford broke quickly with Joao Pedro, the midfielder weaved his way through the Tranmere defence until his eventual shot was blocked.

Blackett-Taylor came agonisingly close to opening the scoring in the 21st-minute. Great play in the middle of the park won the ball back and set the winger away. He then drove at a retreating Watford defence into the penalty area, but he could not direct his shot past Daniel Bachmann in the Hornets’ goal.

Mellon’s side continued to have the majority of the ball and as the game reached the half-hour mark, the hosts should have been ahead.

Embed from Getty Images

Great work once again on the left switched the ball over to Kieron Morris. A great bit of skill inside the 18-yard area gave him ample time to pick his spot, but the midfielder could only find the palms over the Watford keeper, before Blackett-Taylor’s rebound drifted over from close-range.

As the game reached the closing moments of the first period, an opener looked likely and it came in the shape of Rovers’ big centre-half. A scramble in the area found its way to Monthe, who stroked the ball goalwards.

Blackett-Taylor, once again, came close to doubling Rovers’ lead in added time of the first half, only to be denied by Christian Kabasele inside the 18-yard area.

The start of the second period brought the visitors their first real sight of the Tranmere goal. Pedro forced a smart stop by Scott Davies after the Brazilian linked well with Andre Gray.

As the game wore on, the visitors gradually started to show signs of their Premier League class and soon enough, they were level.

Persistent pressure on the Rovers goal turned into a scramble in the penalty area. The ball fell kindly for substitute Kayden Hinds, who was able to smash the ball through a crowd of bodies and past Davies.

Despite their setback, Tranmere continued to press. The movement of substitute Mullin started to cause the visitors’ defence all sorts of problems.

After a long through-ball over the top, the striker superbly anticipated the flight of the ball to knock it around the onrushing keeper, however, the forward was unable to turn home from an impossible angle.

With nothing to separate the two sides after 94 minutes of action, the game entered extra-time. Davies under pressure in the opening exchanges, as he pulled off a great save to his left to keep the tie level.

Despite 11 tired and fatigued bodies, Tranmere continued to assert their dominance and got their just reward. The ball was flicked on for Mullin to nod home unchallenged at the back to give the League One side a much-deserved win.

Image – Tranmere Rovers