Tranmere Women’s Development reached the final of the Women’s League Cup after defeating Marine Women 3-2 at Shafts Youth Club.

Dave Crank’s Marine came into the game hopeful after a stunning performance in the previous league cup quarter final fixture that saw his side turnover Halewood Ladies 3-0.

Marine’s Abbie Weaver was moved into the midfield for the fixture, away from her usual position of centre half where she has been so consistent all season.

Pictured here: Abbie Weaver (to the right) and Dave Crank (to the left) image credit: @BBsphotograpghy

First Half

Tranmere started fast and strong, creating chances in Marine’s 18-yard box.

After 16 minutes of non-stop attack Tranmere’s hard work paid off as Anais Bathily opened the scoring for the Rovers.

The number 14 sweetly struck the ball into the net after beating defenders and the keeper down the right wing.

The onslaught continued as Rovers held possession in the visitor’s half with little challenge from the opposition.

Millie William almost converted after a long ball looped over Marine’s backline to her feet.

Ultimately, the chance fell through from a directionless strike being placed wide.

Marine began to gain some possession of their own before the half concluded.

Midfielder Paige Tinsley fell short just before the first half concluded after battering the woodwork from a magnificent outside the box strike.

Second Half

In the 48th minute, Bathily charged down the right wing, drifting past marine defenders with ease.

Williams then received the ball on the edge of the box and placed a perfect lob over the keeper from the edge of the box to make the game 2-0.

Tranmere continued their assault deep into the second half and seemed unstoppable.

After 68 minutes, Williams then glided past the keeper and fired into the back of the net after jinxing in and out of helpless marine defenders.

The away side turned the game on its head minutes later.

Marine veteran Abbie Weaver received the ball on the edge of the box, surrounded by defenders, and struck a half volley into the top corner.

The goal turned The Mariners into the attackers, creating chances left and right.

In the 84th minute the away got their lucky break when they were awarded a penalty.

The keeper wiped out Weaver inside the box after her quick footwork allowed her to manoeuvre herself into a one-on-one position.

Pictured here: Paige Tinsley (to the right) image credit: @BBsphotograpghy

Penalty specialist Paige Tinsley stepped up and rifled the ball low and hard into the left side, sending the keeper the wrong way.

It was too little too late and Marine were knocked out.


After, Abbie Weaver said: “I think we off really started slow, came on second half and picked up and waited to the last 15 minutes to put the pressure on.”

Manager Dave Crank highlighted the positives of the fixture.

“Not all games go to plan, but it shows character to come from 3-0 down to raise your game and put pressure on, we just ran out of time today.”


Tranmere now move onto the finals of the competition whilst also competing for the LCFA Country Cup final early next month.

As for Marine they still have all to play for in the Woman’s challenge cup final next month

(Featured image credit: @BBsphotography)