Luca Fletcher proved the difference with two goals in an electrifying encounter between Liverpool U18s and Manchester City U18s, which City won 2-1. 

The game was always going to be a humdinger with City sitting second in the table taking on third place Liverpool. City knew they would have to beat the Reds to keep the pressure on table toppers, Manchester United.

With the Sky Blues’ victory they now are starting to pile pressure on United who dropped points for the second week in a row – this time against Nottingham Forest.

United blew a 2-0 lead, so Man City now sit 13 points behind their rivals with two games in hand and they will face off in two weeks time.

The first moment of excitement in the game came early as City’s Dante Headley outmanoeuvred Liverpool’s Francis Gyimah, earning a valuable free kick in a promising position.

City’s Dive Mukasa took the opportunity to test the keeper, delivering a powerful strike that was met with an impressive save. 

City asserted their dominance in the first 10 minutes, setting the tone for an intense battle. 

Liverpool’s Kieran Morrison emerged as a standout player, creating Liverpool’s best chance in the first half with a brilliant free kick from 30 yards that tested the City keeper. 

However, despite Liverpool’s efforts, it was City’s Farid Alfa Ruprecht who stole the spotlight and looked unplayable at times with his dazzling footwork, providing moments of flair that captivated the audience. 

The turning point arrived on the 37th-minute mark when Fletcher capitalised on a defensive error by Kaden Kelly.

Ruprecht executed a delightful slide-draw pass into Fletcher’s path, and the young striker finished expertly, putting Man City in the lead. 

Alfa Ruprecht continued to trouble the Liverpool defence, testing the keeper once again on the stroke of halftime, but the Liverpool shot-stopper stood firm, making a crucial save.

The second half saw City maintain their momentum, with Dunbar McDonald hitting the post with a spectacular curling strike.

City extended their lead to 2-0 in the 53rd minute, with Fletcher securing his brace. Seb Naylor delivered a brilliant ball in behind, Ruprecht latched onto it, and a well-timed square pass found Fletcher who calmly finished from close range. 

Liverpool’s Morrison remained a persistent threat throughout the game, showcasing his dazzling footwork and creating chances. 

Despite City’s physical advantage, Liverpool’s Louis Enahoro stood out in defence, displaying resilience and composure despite the scoreline.

As the match progressed, Dunbar McDonald took centre stage, putting on a show in the second half and entertaining the spectators with his skillful play. 

Despite the 2-0 deficit, Liverpool didn’t lose heart. Substitute Tyler Martin had a golden opportunity to level the score after a defensive mix-up by City, but the City goalkeeper made a crucial save at his near post. 

In a twist of fate, birthday boy Kareem Ahmed provided a glimmer of hope for Liverpool, reducing the deficit to 2-1 after a well-executed play initiated by Kelly. 

Liverpool pushed for an equaliser, and Kieran Morrison’s wonderful free kick from the right wing nearly resulted in a goal, but unfortunately, no one managed to connect with the delivery. 

The final ten minutes saw both teams making changes, but no significant chances materialised. 

Ultimately, Manchester City secured a well-deserved 2-1 victory, displaying their prowess and resilience throughout the match. The intense encounter showcased the talent, leaving spectators on the edge of their seats until the final whistle.