Everton midfielder Andre Gomes picked up a horror injury in Everton’s 1-1 draw with Tottenham Hostpur in Sunday’s Premier League late kick-off.

The Portuguese midfielder suffered what looked to be a leg breaking injury in the 78th minute, before a Cenk Tosun header in injury time rescued a point for the Toffees.

A very uneventful first 45 minutes produced few chances between the two sides, with Richarlison wasting the best opportunity when he fired straight at Paulo Gazzaniga from Lucas Digne’s cross.

However the games quality quickly picked up at the start of the second half, and Spurs had a penalty appeal turned down in the 50th minute when Everton defender Yerry Mina collided with Heung-Min Son’s knee inside the penalty area, but neither Martin Atkinson or VAR felt the challenge warranted a spot-kick.

Richarlison spurned another chance in the 60th minute, shooting straight at the goalkeeper once again following a Lucas Digne lay-off.

Moments later Spurs made the breakthrough when Heung-Min Son picked up a poor pass from Alex Iwobi, feeding Dele Alli who cut inside Mason Holgate before finsihing into the bottom corner beyond the reach of Jordan Pickford.

Dele Alli so nearly turned from hero to villian in the 70th minute after shouts for a handball from an Everton corner. Yerry Mina headed the ball onto the outstretched arm of Alli, but after a lengthy VAR check no penalty was given.

Andre Gomes’s horror injury occured in the 78th minute after he caught his studs following a late challenge from Heung-Min Son before colliding with the oncoming Serge Aurier. Various players on the pitch were clearly distressed due to the injury, none more so than Son who received a red card for the challenge. The South Korean international then had to be consoled on his way down the tunnel.

Gylfi Sigurdsson came on in place of Gomes and was quickly involved in the action, crossing for Calvert-Lewin who blazed his header over the bar in the 86th minute.

12 minutes were added on in stoppage time due to the stop in play and Everton kept pushing for an equaliser. Their persistence payed off 8 minutes into added time when Yerry Mina played the ball out wide to Lucas Digne, who hit a first time volleyed cross which was met by the head of subsitute Cenk Tosun to level proceedings, scoring his first goal of the season in the process.

Both sides pressed for a winner but Martin Atkinson called time to a game which will unfortunately be remembered for the serious injury to Andre Gomes.

Everton remain just outside the relegation zone in 17th place, whilst Tottenham moved up to 11th following the point.

Next up for Marco Silva’s men is a trip down to Southampton next Saturday, and Spurs take on Red Star Belgrade away in the Champions League before welcoming Sheffield United in the league.

[Picture by Catherine Kortsmik – Creative Commons]