Southport came into the game knowing they would be put to their limit today against the leagues top scorers Kings Lynn. Before the start both sides paused to remember those who gave their lives in service.

Both sides pause to pay respects photo by Josh Birch

The hosts did exactly what was needed of them just three minutes into the game, Devarn Green picked the ball up deep in the Southport half, he continued his run seemingly gliding through the Kings Lynn midfield and then the defence as he then into the bottom corner.

Southport’s next chance was provided by Green when he again broke down the right but his cross was put wide by Raul Correia.

Captain David Morgan continued a flurry of chances. Jack Sampson’s back-heel found the midfielder who hit his effort wide of the post.

Kings Lynn keeper Alexander Street almost gifted Brad Bauress the chance to double Southport’s lead.

The keeper had panicked after being put under pressure, slicing a clearance to Bauress who had his chance scuppered when Russ Barrows cleared the ball.

The opening ten minutes had seen the hosts dominating not allowing Kings Lynn out of their half.

Christopher Henderson brought down Bauress, the wingers free kick forced Street to make a diving save.

Sampson continued his skills show as he pulled off a roulette to keep the ball.

Ryan Hawkins had Kings Lynn’s first chance of the game when he was played through on goal, but a fast acting Charlie Albinson was able to smother the ball before Hawkins was able to shoot.

The away side started to grow into the game as Dean Winnard was called into action to head the ball off of the line to keep the score at 1-0.

Green continued his impressive performance on the flanks as he picked the ball up on the left this time and drove at the Lynn defence.

His shot was deflected and put out the box as far as Morgan who passed wide to Bauress another deflected shot could not be stabbed home by either of the forwards.

King Lynn would level the game with a beautiful goal from Adam Marriott who popped up out wide and smashed the ball over Albinson into the roof of the goal.

Southport almost retook the lead immediately when the ball fell to Sampson who cannoned a shot that hit several defenders going wide for a corner.

Another great chance to retake the lead fell to Correia his effort forced Street to save on the line.

The end of the first half had both teams with great chances to take the lead Marriott was very close to his second of the game when he hit the bar from an even tighter angle than his goal.

The first half came to a close at 1-1 but it could have been a much higher score.

Jack Doyle provided the first big chance of the half when his cross had to be put behind by Tom Ward with both Sampson and Correia waiting to tap home.

The away side made it 2-1 when Christopher Henderson found himself in acres of space giving him time to find the bottom corner.

Southport midfielder Russell Benjamin became the first player in the book after he brought down Henderson, Benjamin had to leave the pitch after the challenge caused him so start bleeding.

Henderson became the next player in the book for time wasting after he kicked the ball out of the stadium.

Kings Lynn thought they had made it three but the goal was ruled out after Henderson had strayed offside.

Zehn Mohammed hit the bar from a corner but the away side broke away in a counter attack Henderson thought he was clean through but a brilliant tracking run from Benjamin allowed him to dispossess the attacker.

The last chance of the game fell to Marriott who had been gifted a chance at goal after a long ball was left by Winnard allowing the forward to break his effort struck the post.

Kings Lynn moved to the top of the table with the three points as Southport could not capitalise on a solid start.