Tranmere Rovers have greatly improved their chances of avoiding relegation, as they beat Accrington Stanley 1-2.

The win sees them now just six points behind AFC Wimbledon with two games in hand.

The away side made one change from their last league game against Shrewsbury, as Jennings came in for Cook.

First Half

Tranmere started the game quickly, creating an early chance as Clarke found Charles, though his volley went wide.

Rovers’ early pressure eventually paid off, as Vaughn headed home Morris’ free kick just nine minutes in.

Blackett-Taylor was involved heavily throughout the first half, seeming to cause a lot of problems for the hosts on that right-hand side.

He produced a good chance for himself thirty minutes into the game, though his left-footed shot just flew over the bar.

After a fairly uneventful rest of the half, the referee blew his whistle with Tranmere ahead at the break.

Second Half

Knowing a strong second-half performance was needed, Accrington came back from the interval strongly, as Pritchard had a good opportunity to get the hosts level five minutes in.

Stanley’s biggest threat of the game Pritchard again threatened Davies’ goal, though Tranmere’s number 1 got down sharply to stop his shot.

Seventy minutes into the game, Tranmere’s danger man Blackett-Taylor was involved again, using his pace to counter for Rovers though he dragged his shot just wide.

Soon after, Rovers doubled their lead as the two centre half’s combined, with Clarke squaring it to Ellis who tapped it home from close range. A crucial goal in Tranmere’s bid for survival.

However, Accrington weren’t going to accept defeat so easily, as they got one back just three minutes after Ellis’ goal. A free-kick on the right-wing deflected off Woodyard and over Davies. Game on.

After a few crucial deflections towards the end of the game from Tranmere, the 90th minute eventually came with seven minutes added on.

In the third minute of additional time, Stanley defender Rodgers got shown a second yellow card and the hosts were now down to 10 men.

Despite a late push from the home side, Micky Mellon’s courageously held on and gained a huge three points.

This now puts them just 6 points off AFC Wimbledon with two games in hand over ‘The Dons’.

(Image courtesy of Tranmere Rovers social media)