A late penalty gave Manchester their first three points of the campaign but left Everton feeling robbed of their third win of the season.

There were positives for The Blues to take from the game after wonder kid Ellis Simms scored his fifth goal of the season in just his sixth appearance.

United soon replied through their own forward talent, Anthony Elanga, but it was the 96th minute penalty that stole the points for The Red Devils and left an unlucky Everton with nothing.

The Toffees, sitting sixth in Premier League 2, drew with Spurs last time out and were looking to return to winning ways. As for United, this was their first win after two consecutive draws against Blackburn Rovers and Arsenal respectively.

David Unsworth’s young Toffees performed well for large portions of the game with Joao Virginia producing another solid performance in goal and experienced centre half Matthew Pennington controlling the play for the blues.

Einar Iversen and Rhys Hughes continued to start every game this season with 19-year-old star man Simms starting up top.

United included some very senior names in their lineup. Out of favour Marcus Rojo and Brandon Williams were amongst their five man defence alongside captain Teden Mengi. New summer signing Alvaro Fernandez also made the starting eleven.

United’s £10million pound deadline day transfer Facundo Pellistri also made his Manchester United debut out wide with Swedish youngster and goal scorer Elanga starting up top.

The first half was uneventful with the main action coming from Pellistri who looked dangerous for united and forced saves out of Virginia.

Rojo also tried to put his name back in the plans of Ole Gunnar Solksjaer with a close free kick attempt just before half time. Everton also threatened just before the half with Iverson having an opportunity in front of goal, but he blasted over under pressure.

The first goal came in the 60th minute for Everton’s main man Ellis Simms. He finished from close range after an initial save from United’s keeper was parried back out to him.

Everton had another great chance straight afterwards after a mishap in defence lead to a collision between two United players meaning Williams had to clear off the line to prevent Everton increasing their advantage.

Neil Wood’s men then hit back through Elanga who slotted in his second of the season in the bottom left corner of the net.

The game then turned on its head in the last seconds of play. Williams was brought down in the box leaving Ethan Galbraith to slot home from 12 yards and clinch all three points.

The result leaves The Blues eigth in PL2. They welcome table toppers Chelsea to Finch Farm next time out on November 8th.