By George Newell

Skelmersdale United missed an opportunity to move within three points of leaders Macclesfield after struggling Winsford left it late to come from behind.

In the early exchanges, the Blueboys showed signs of the quality that had launched them to second in the league with winger Elliot Morris drawing an excellent save out of Ryan Hamer from an audacious long-range effort.

However, it was the visitors who struck first in the NWCFL Premier Division clash after full-back Dylan Chalice rounded off a brilliant solo run with a composed, well-placed finish into the bottom right corner.

Despite almost conceding again through a cruel bounce from the artificial surface, Skelmersdale continued to look threatening and got back on level terms eight minutes from half time courtesy of Michael Howard.

Howard took down an excellent long-range ball before rounding the keeper and tapping into an empty net to ensure the hosts went in level at half time.

Skelmersdale might have felt they should have gone in a goal up though, after Daniel Mitchley fired a shot just over the bar following an excellent team move.

The second half continued in the same competitive manner that the first half had finished with the fifteen league places between the sides not being evident on the pitch, and both sides showing an eagerness to play out from the back and press high.

With 15 minutes left, Alex Davies ventured effortlessly down the right-hand side and his threatening ball into the box was enough to draw a foul out of the Winsford backline for which referee David Gillon quickly pointed to the spot.

Mitchley duly converted to put the hosts ahead for the first time in the game.

But the lead didn’t last long and eight from minutes from time the Cheshire side were back on level terms.

A well worked move from Winsford was finished off from close-range by Zachary Adekoya to the dismay of the home fans.

Skelmersdale controlled the closing periods of the game but found no way through a stubborn and well organised Winsford defence.

The point keeps The Blueboys in second place, two points clear of Irlam with a game in hand.

However, Paul McNally’s men will be looking to get back to winning ways when they travel to Barnoldswick Town on Saturday (3pm kick off).