Vlads Vulkanov scored his fifth goal of the season to seal a hard fought 4-1 victory over the Billingham Stars at Planet Ice.

Widnes have a win after a three-game losing streak, this brings them to three wins in seven games.

The result keeps them seventh but only four points shy of Billingham who are currently third in Division 1 North.

The game got off to a quick start with shots peppering Billingham’s netminder Thomas Brown’s goal.

The Wild came close to scoring a few times but just couldn’t find the finishing touch to get the advantage.

Widnes’ Latvian phenomenon Vlads Vulkanov tested Brown’s saving ability, taking shot after shot at the netminder to no avail.

Thomas Stubley also showed desire to score taking on a few chances of his own.

He also could not break the deadlock with the first period ending 0-0, despite Widnes’ 18 attempts on goal.

The second period began slower than the first with a few shots for both sides.

Vulkanov then broke the deadlock with a fantastic goal, receiving the puck and rounding Brown to open the scoring.

This seemed to wake Billingham up who began upping their pressure to score.

This caused tensions to flare as a suspected kneeing resulted in two Widnes players and one Billingham player to get two minutes in the penalty box for fighting.

Widnes’ netminder, Harrison Walker then stepped up with a few big saves of his own to keep his side with the advantage at the end of the second period.

The third period seemed to hold promise for Billingham as they scored just under five minutes in through Carl Wilkinson.

His scrappy tap-in gave his side hope of a comeback with 15 minutes left on the clock.

It was not to be however as player/coach Richard Haggar scored Widnes’ second with 5 minutes left to play.

His slapshot went under Brown to put his side back in the lead.

Billingham really started to throw everything they had at Widnes peppering Walker with shots.

They could not find a way past the netminder who kept his side in the lead.

Beach then extended that lead with a third goal with three minutes left to go.

He got in one versus one with Brown and took a shot which was deflected back out to him.

He recollected the puck and tapped it home for 3-1.

Shortly after, with Brown having left the field in favour of another outfield player, Stubley put the finishing touch on a good win.

He shot from inside his own half into the empty net and got his goal he’d been searching for to wrap up the game.

Both sides’ netminders received MVP awards as their contribution definitely kept the score-line down.

Widnes will face Solway Sharks next, who currently sit top of the table with only one loss in 10 games.