Widnes Wild secured their first Moralee Cup ever in a 7-6 aggregate victory in dramatic style.

The sides played twice across the weekend with the final leg in Widnes last night (February 20) after a 3-3 draw at Dundee on Saturday.

Widnes grabbed an early lead through Tom Stubley who scored in just 20 seconds.

Dundee pulled it back not long after to level the scores on the night and on aggregate.

The first period finished 1-1 and 4-4 overall with both sides trading blows.

Widnes came out of the blocks firing in the second and scored inside five minutes through player/coach Richard Haggar.

This put his side 2-1 up, it stayed that way thanks to some key saves by goalie Harrison Walker.

The young netminder showed why he’s so highly rated with a few key stops across the evening.

Widnes then managed to score again through Danny Haid a couple of minutes later.

A slapshot into the corner made it 3-1 to the Wild with 12 minutes to play in the period.

The game then started to get a little scrappy as the penalties started to rain in.

Both sides killed them effectively not allowing the other to get in and score on the powerplay.

Then in the last half of the second period the Comets found their lifeline with Jonathan McBean.

The 18-year-old managed to tap home to bring his side within one point of Widnes, trailing 6-5 on aggregate.

The Comets then found themselves with a powerplay but again they could not capitalise.

Some key stops by their goalie Toni Tammi denied Widnes at the other end and that rounded off the second period.

Widnes went into the third period clinging onto a 3-2 lead on the night with 20 minutes separating them and Moralee Cup glory.

As they entered the final period it was Widnes who looked the better side.

They got stuck into a frustrated Dundee team who kept giving away penalties.

Vlads Vulkanov came close four minutes in but was denied by Tammi.

Walker responded with a huge save of his own to keep Widnes in the supremacy.

The Dundee goalie couldn’t keep every shot out, however, as Liam Charnock tapped home a scrappy goal to pretty much seal the trophy for Widnes.

The drama wasn’t over though as with seven minutes to play Dundee scored again.

They then dominated the final minutes of the game coming very close to their equaliser.

They just couldn’t find the back of Walker’s net however as the 19-year-old stood firm.

His D-line were impressive too with Tom Brierley catching a ricocheting puck in his hand and sliding it out to clear it.

After a period of extreme pressure with Widnes players throwing their bodies in front of the puck their job was done.

History Made

The Wild sealed their first Moralee Cup with a 4-3 win (7-6 on aggregate).

The crowd went wild as the arena shook and Widnes’ bench poured onto the ice.

Even the off-ice staff joined as gloves and helmets were scattered across the rink by the celebrating players.

As a final show of respect the Widnes players cheered a defeated Dundee side off the ice.

The Comets fought hard but just couldn’t find the goals they needed to win.

Widnes next face Whitley Warriors on Sunday (February 27) in a clash between second and fourth.