Liverpool Collegiate slumped to five league defeats in a row as they were beaten 31-7 by Widnes in the ADM Premier Division.

Collegiate, hosting the game at Liverpool Cricket Club, gave their title-chasing opponents Widnes a competitive match all game but were blown away by a flurry of tries in each half.

Widnes move up to second in the table as they reduced the gap to Didsbury Toc H to just thirteen points, albeit with a game in hand.

Liverpool Collegiate remain marooned in fifth place on 45 points, having played the most matches of the teams around them at 18.

A sunny but chilly day in Aigburth was met with trepidation as third place Widnes faced fifth placed Collegiate in a tightly anticipated clash in Lancashire County’s top amateur division.

As both teams sized up their opponent, the opening exchanges were uneventful as sloppy attacking play from the away side was matched with equally sloppy passing from the home side.

Collegiate looking to press forward in competitive clash.

The deadlock was broken after the quarter hour mark as hooker Jack Krause powered himself through the Collegiate defence with relative ease.

Full back Andrew Owens – who would have a standout game – scored the resulting conversion to make it 7-0 to the team from Cheshire.

As a competitive but far from thrilling first half drew to a conclusion at Liverpool CC, both sides had opportunities to contribute to the scoreline.

One side took this opportunity.

As Collegiate skipper Chris Lloyd missed an opportunity to convert a penalty from just outside the opposition’s 22 yard line, Liverpool faltered.

Reeling from a sin bin moments earlier, they fell to a scrappy move from the away team which saw Tom O’Neill bundle the ball over the line under pressure.

Owens once again scored the conversion for a 14-0 start.

After the short break, Widnes must have had stern words from coach Andy Mcintosh as they came out firing on all cylinders in the second half.

Owens, Widnes’ most influential player, scored a practically uncontested try early in the second half before unexpectedly missing the resulting conversion to leave it 19-0.

The home side responded to this try as they battled through a last-ditch attempt from Widnes to defend their try line.

Collegiate’s James Washington bundled the ball over the line to give his side a chance to get back into the game.

Liverpool’s Lloyd scored the subsequent conversion to reduce the deficit to 19-7.

Collegiate vs Widnes
Eagerly contested game draws to a conclusion.

Unfortunately for the home side, Widnes flanker Michael Jones scored a try of his own only ten minutes later as he muscled his way through the Collegiate defence.

Owens this time made no mistake as he extended the score to 26-7.

As the game entered the final ten minutes, Widnes scored once again to put icing on the cake.

A flowing move from centre pitch left Gavin Hatton one-on-one with winger Humraz Mirza on the left-hand side of the pitch, which left little chance for Mirza as Hatton powered the ball through him and over the line.

Once again, Owens missed a conversion to the surprise of the fans in attendance as the scoreline finished 31-7.

A disappointing result for Liverpool Collegiate will hopefully be learnt from as they travel to eight placed Fleetwood on Saturday 19th March.

Widnes will aim to build on this win as they travel to Wigan on the same date.

After the game, Liverpool’s Chris Lloyd spoke to Merseysportlive about the match.