Widnes Vikings’ four game unbeaten run was ended by Barrow Raiders after a 24-34 loss at home.

Despite a fast-paced start from Widnes, the away side had too much threat in attack.

Half-back Jarrod Sammut and centre Hakim Miloudi stole the show and were too much to handle for the Vikings.

Widnes went into the game off the back of a 38-4 defeat to Leigh Centurions last Monday in the Challenge Cup but started the more attacking side.

They opened the scoring in the second minute after a smart dummy from Joe Lyons put Sam Wilde over the line from just five metres out.

Ste Tyrer added the extra two points to make the score 6-0.

Some quick hands from right to left after a Lloyd Roby break allowed Tyrer to finish in the left corner in the 11th minute.

He then converted his own try to put his side 12-0 up.

Barrow increased their pressure in attack and responded through Sammut in the 21st minute.

A sharp right-footed step allowed the Maltese international to slip through the Widnes defence from 10 metres out.

Ryan Shaw added the extras from in front of the posts putting his team within four points at 12-6.

The away side, gaining momentum, found themselves 10 metres out of the Widnes try line in the 31st minute.

A flashy step from Miloudi allowed Tee Ritson to receive the ball and finish well in the far-right corner.

Shaw couldn’t manage to convert from distance and Widnes stayed ahead at 12-10.

The home side responded after Ryan Ince led the charge up field.

The ball again found its way across the pitch, this time to Brad Holroyd who finished just 10 metres in from the side-line.

Tyrer added two extra points putting his side 18-10 up.

The Raiders continued to fight and scored in the corner off another Miloudi step and an acrobatic finish from Ritson.

Shaw converted from far out and left his side within two points at the break.

Second half

Confident from their first half finish, the Raiders opened the second half scoring in the 42nd minute.

Overlapping attack on the right side left a gap for Miloudi to walk through.

Shaw didn’t manage to convert with Barrow now 18-20 up.

The pressured home side gave away a penalty near their own posts which Shaw converted to make the score 18-22.

Widnes were put under more pressure in the 54th minute after Tyrer challenged a high ball and received a yellow card for knee contact with the head of Ritson.

The game continued from end to end until Barrow capitalised on Widnes’ 12-man side in the 65th minute.

Some smart attacking play down the left wing and a quick offload put Luke Cresswell over the whitewash.

Shaw failed to convert leaving the score at 18-26.

The Vikings were well on the back foot with Shaw adding two points to the now 18-28 score line after a penalty for a ball steal.

Barrow kept pushing in the 75th minute as Carl Forster crashed over from short range to make the score 34-18 as Shaw added two points.

Widnes had the final say as Roby broke through the line and passed to Matty Fozard who went in under the sticks.

Tyrer added two points and the hooter was sounded, ending the Vikings’ perfect start to the season.

The loss puts Widnes third in the league and joint on points with fourth place Barrow.

The home side will be hoping for two points against York City Knights away on March 20th.