A Bobby Grant brace and a Fin Sinclair-Smith masterclass helped Marine to a 4-0 win over Everton on a wet night in Crosby to book their spot in the FA Senior Cup semi-finals.

Similar to the weather, the first half started in a dull fashion as both teams pressed hard looking to put their stamp on the game. Marine looked much more of a threat as the half progressed, as an early chance fell to Sol Solomon whose low shot forced the keeper down for a double save.

Everton’s only chance of the half came from a corner, which fell to Isaac Heath on the edge of the box and took a favourable deflection from Harvey Gregson for Luke Hutchinson to collect easily.

It was Marine’s half as they kept knocking at the door. In the 34th minute, Sinclair-Smith burst down the wing, losing his man, and floated a lovely cross to the back post for Grant to head home. When it rains, it pours, and 60 seconds later the ball fell to Gregson in a crowded Blues box who put it away to take Marine 2-0 up into the break.

Everton came out looking like changed men at the start of the second half but soon returned to their old ways as their sloppy defending allowed Smith to burst into the box and worry a couple of away players.

The Toffees didn’t learn from their mistakes the second time around as Smith returned to complete a carbon copy of Marine’s first goal as he put a tempting cross to the back post for Grant to put away with his head for his brace.

Grant thought he had headed home a hattrick just minutes later as Everton’s leaky defence left him alone at the back post again, but the goal was ruled offside.

The Blue’s only threat in attack was on the break, but they continually failed to challenge the keeper, which would cost them again as a sloppy foul gave Smith the chance to make it four with a free kick just outside the box. The number seven made them pay as he curled the ball into the top left corner to put the game to bed.

Everton’s mood matched the weather as The Mariners move into the semi-finals, where they’ll face their next challenge in hopes of reaching the final of the Senior Cup.