Michael Smith got us underway on night four of the Darts Premier League in Newcastle facing Stockport born Nathan Aspinall.

After having a disappointing night in Glasgow last week on night three Smith would’ve been desperate to regain some good form to keep within a good distance of Michael Van Gerwen who currently sits top of the table being clear by eight points and Littler level on points with the man from St Helens.

Aspinall took the first leg but Smith bounced back as both players exchanged 180s which got the crowd on their feet. The crowd were ready to explode when Smith was on course to hit a 170 checkout after he hit a pair of treble 20s. However, he missed the bull for the big finish before coming back to seal the leg on double 10.

Smith’s average dropped from 102 to 88 in the tenth leg which was a big drop off but still managed to bring himself level with Aspinall to make it 5-5 going into the final leg.

Smith missed a double 10 to give him his second win, but Aspinall took advantage of the miss and pipped him at the end to win 6-5 and take him through to the semi-finals.

Littler looked to improve on last week’s performance in Glasgow when he was beaten 6-5 by the Welshman Gerwyn Price in the quarter-finals.

This week he faced Peter Wright who’s certainly started to up his game after impressing against Van Gerwen last week. Both impressed from the off by matching each other, hitting 180s in the first leg but Littler took out tops on his next visit.

Despite Snakebite putting the pressure on Littler early into the second leg, the teenager left himself 60 which he finished off effortlessly.

Littler looked to be cruising as he went 2-0 up, but Wright got himself back in the game after The Nuke went close to the big finish which left Wright hitting double 16 for the leg.

Littler regained control once again going 4-2 up but Wright’s coolness saw him level up. Frustration kicked in for the 17-year-old as he missed three darts at double which left Wright with a chance to take the leg which he did after nailing double 10.

Wright had the chance to win his first match at this year’s Premier League but failed to take out double 16. Littler then took out 85 in two darts to make it 5-5.

Littler hit his sixth maximum of the match which put him in command of the final leg and managed to hit tops next time around to send him to the semi-finals.

As Littler and Van Gerwen met once again the Warrington player got off to the perfect start. Van Gerwen levelled up soon after with a brilliant 127 checkout.

Littler retook the lead whilst Van Gerwen shook his head in disappointment after missing another treble in a leg.

The Belgian drew level with Littler then really turned the game around, winning three games in a row which put The Nuke in the distance.

The pressure was on for Luke who had to be immaculate from then on.

Incredibly the 34-year-old missed six darts at double for the match allowing Littler to come back and hit double 10 again to take it the match to a decider.

MVG won in style, having clinched it with a double-double finish on the 18s. Littler was left with a 110 checkout but couldn’t give himself a dart at double which allowed Van Gerwen to come back in style to take it 6-5.