Liverpool’s poor run of form in the Women’s Super League continued as The Reds were beaten 2-0 by Arsenal at Prenton Park.

Matt Beard’s side have now lost their last three games in the league and currently sit tenth in the table.

The Gunners took the lead just 15 minutes into the first half through Lia Walti, who capitalised after the hosts were unable to deal with an Arsenal corner.

The visitors then doubled their lead just seven minutes later when Frida Maanum slotted the ball beyond Rachael Laws from close range.

It was a deserved win for the Londoners, who created far more goal-scoring opportunities than their opponents.

WSL Liverpool v Arsenal
Arsenal celebrate a goal at Prenton Park / photo: Hana Basir

England star Beth Mead came close to opening the scoring in the 11th minute after Caitlin Foord floated a brilliant cross into the area to the unmarked winger, but the shot was blocked well by Megan Campbell.

The chance appeared to act as a trigger for the away side, who started to apply more pressure from this point onward after a fairly slow start.

The Gunners almost broke the deadlock once again after some fantastic interplay which resulted in Stina Blackstenius sliding a pass across the box to Katie McCabe but the fullback was unable to reach the ball.


And the away side’s pressure paid off in the 15th minute as Walti smashed the ball home with a volleyed effort after The Reds were unable to deal with an Arsenal corner.

The visitors would then double their lead in the 22nd minute when Maanum slid the ball beyond Laws at the near post after Foord played the midfielder through with a brilliant pass.

Arsenal were too strong for their WSL hosts / Photo: Hana Basir

The Gunners should have had a third just before halftime when the ball broke to an unmarked Kim Little in the box but the midfielder’s shot fizzed over the bar from close range.

The Reds had a good opportunity to halve the deficit just three minutes after the break when Foord was unable to clear a Katie Stengel cross in rather calamitous fashion. The ball then broke to Emma Koivisto but the wingback was unable to beat Manuela Zinsberger from around six yards out.

Liverpool managed to contain Arsenal much better at the start of the second half, with the away team struggling to create any real chances for a large period of the half.

Arsenal’s first real chance of the half didn’t come until the 72nd minute when Laws was forced to make a fantastic stop to deny Foord after she had been played through by Mead.

Liverpool have now lost three WSL games on the bounce / Photo: Hana Basir

Laws was forced into making another good save in the 90th minute when a cross was floated into Mead at the back post but the winger was unable to beat Liverpool’s keeper with a sliced effort.

Mead then came close once again a minute later after Foord cut the ball back across the box to the England international but her effort floated over the bar from around six yards out in what proved to be the last action of the match.

While the newly promoted Reds wouldn’t have been expected to get a result against such an established Arsenal side, yet another loss will have done little to boost the confidence of the squad.

Liverpool will now face Leicester in the League Cup on Wednesday before they go head to head with Manchester City in the league next weekend, in a match that is likely to be another tough test for The Reds.