Liverpool built on Monday’s win over Everton with a 2-0 victory on the road against top four rivals Newcastle United on Saturday.

First-half goals from Darwin Nunez and Cody Gakpo were enough to secure the three points for the Reds who move to eighth, six points behind the Magpies in fourth.

Liverpool were buoyed by Virgil Van Dijk’s return to the starting eleven following a hamstring injury which had kept him sidelined since the January 2nd defeat to Brentford.

Gakpo and Nunez made up the front three alongside talisman Mohamed Salah.

Newcastle meanwhile granted a first Premier League start for Elliot Anderson in midfield in their only change from last weekend’s 1-1 draw at Bournemouth.


Newcastle looked more dangerous early on with Alisson denying Miguel Almiron in the fourth minute following Allan Saint-Maximin’s pass.

Liverpool responded six minutes later when Trent Alexander-Arnold lofted a right-footed pass over the Newcastle defence to Nunez.

The Uruguayan controlled before firing past Nick Pope inside 10 minutes.

Gakpo doubled the lead seven minutes later after Salah clipped the ball into the feet of Dutchman who controlled with his right before sliding the ball into the Newcastle net.

The Dutchman now has two goals in as many games after netting his first versus Everton on Monday.

Cody Gakpo - Gakpo now has two goals in his last two games for Liverpool since joining in January. (Photo credit - Alamy images under agreed license)
Gakpo now has two goals in his last two games for Liverpool since joining in January. (Photo credit – Alamy images under agreed license)

Things went from bad to worse for Newcastle when goalkeeper Pope was sent off in the 22nd minute.

He rushed out to meet Alisson’s long pass only to handle the ball to prevent a goal-scoring opportunity for Salah.

The England international will now miss next week’s Carabao Cup Final against Manchester United.

Saint-Maximin continued to threaten Liverpool after the Frenchman forced a save out of Alisson on his left foot in the 31st minute.

Newcastle almost pulled a goal back shortly before the break after Dan Burn’s header struck the crossbar from Kieran Trippier’s corner three minutes before the break.


The second-half failed to match an action-packed opening 45 minutes.

Substitute goalkeeper Martin Dubravka parried Nunez’s right-footed shot in the 57th minute as Liverpool looked to kill the game.

Saint-Maximin remained a danger but could only fire wide in the 61st minute as the home side continued to seek a route back.

It looked like it might come in the 82nd minute when substitutes Anthony Gordon and Callum Wilson combined.

The former played Wilson through on goal but the England international was again denied by Alisson.

Liverpool ended the home side’s 17-match unbeaten run as they continue to pursue a place in next season’s Champions League.

The Reds host Real Madrid on Tuesday in the first-leg of their round of 16 tie in Europe’s premier competition.

(featured image by Alamy under agreed licence)