St Helens were able to hold onto their third win in five super league outings after a close comeback from Huddersfield.

Both teams were a position away from each other before the match and have ambitions to finish top of the Super League which created a great match up.

Tries from Konrad Hurrell and Tommy Makinson put the Saints in control with a 12-0 lead but Huddersfield’s Ashton Golding was able to get a try two minutes before half time which helped cut the deficit.

The first big threat of the game came in the 11th minute with the Merseyside team when Lomax’s kick was charged down by Chris Hill.

St Helens continued to grind down the line but were held up on the last.

In the 18th minute, the home team were very close to opening their score when the Giants forced a drop out through Golding who looked to Innes Senior’s side playing a forward pass to Harvey Livett before getting tackled on the last.

The Giants started the stronger side in the first 25 minutes, but it was in the 28th minute where Tonga centre Hurrell came to the fore when Roby passed the ball to Dodd who was able to find Hurrell and get the first points of the game.

Makinson kicked the ball between the posts which earnt his team two points to make it 6-0.

Moments later, Makinson was able to get more points for his team, this time coming from a try when Jack Welesby was able to flick a pass on for the 31-year-old who converted from the touchline to make it 12-0 and get his eighth point of the game.

The visitors thought they were going into the break with a clean sheet until Huddersfield deservedly got their first points of the game when Golding got a try from dummy-half and converted from the kicking tee, sending the Giants six points behind St Helens.

In the 52nd minute, The Giants were penalised for a swinging arm and the fifth placed team were able to convert, making it 14-6 in their favour.

The Yorkshire based club got themselves back into the game when the team put a lot of pressure on the Saints in the corner which saw Senior touch down, cutting the Merseyside based team to a four-point lead.

Russell was able to slot the ball from the side line, cutting the lead even further to a two-point gap and made the last fifteen minutes very nervous for the visitors.

However, The Saints defended excellently and were able to see out the win, putting them on the same points as The Red Devil and The Warriors. They’re also just four points away from league leaders, Wolves.

Saints take on last placed Trinity and will be hoping to edge closer to retaining the Super League title.