South Liverpool kept their play off push alive after defeating AFC Blackpool 2-1 in an intense game at Jericho Lane. 

The home side started the brightest with Owen Hough being the first to react to a ball in the box but Daniel Hall made a brilliant save.

After four minutes all the momentum was with South Liverpool as winger Hough once again fired a shot from 20 yards that was well saved by Hall.

There was a huge early blow for South Liverpool as Oscar Billington was replaced by Charlie Glennon after a collision.

Then, it was one way traffic as midfielder Mohamed Abdi found space to shoot, only for Hall again to be equal to it.  

The deadlock was broken on 16 minutes after a delightful Glennon finish. A wonderful ball into the box fell to his feet as he adjusted and finished into the bottom corner. The Whites didn’t stop there as Abdi played a pass to Hough who’s curling effort was tipped over the bar.

The lead was doubled on 27 minutes by captain Alex Griffiths after a Glennon rebound was comfortably slotted home.

The away side had there first chance in the 29th minute through Tyler Hallan who struck down to Hall’s left but was comfortably gathered.

The momentum swiftly changed in favour of the opposition as there were huge shouts for a penalty on the stroke of half time when striker Luke Noble managed to spin defender Adam Beardsworth. A scream for a shove in the box by the number nine was quickly waved away by the referee.   

As the second half commenced it was the Liverpudlians who came out quickest. An early freekick resulted in defender Blessing Adeleye turning the ball into his own net who was quickly relieved to see the linesman’s flag raised.

AFC Blackpool started to put the home side under relentless pressure and got what they deserved when they won a penalty in the 52nd minute.

Debutant Noble stepped up to take it but hit the post leaving the striker with his head in his hands. However, he later got his reward after a great strike from 25 yards as he pulled one back for The Mechs.

On the hour mark Joseph Robinson was next to test South Liverpool’s defence, but a huge block from Fidan Hajdari kept him at bay.

On 70 minutes the home side had their best chance of the half as Owen drilled the ball wide. With Blackpool chasing an equaliser a freekick on 84 minutes was swung into the box but South’s defence was too strong.

Blackpool maintained their pressure until the end but they couldn’t make their late pressure pay as South Liverpool held on for the victory.