An impressive Tranmere Rovers drew 0-0 with Crewe Alexandra at Prenton Park.

Nigel Adkins’ team were able to take advantage of the opponent’s weakness in midfield to prevent Crewe from fully taking hold of the game.

Tranmere then made it a nervy finish as they continued to push for goals by playing at a relentless pace. This is a game they could have easily won with an efficient finisher but nobody was able to convert their momentum into three points.

The first half had Tranmere coming out of the gate slowly, but Crewe were unable to capitalise from Shilow Tracey’s slick dribbling and blistering pace up the wing.

Rovers had a clear organisation in all areas, the defence looked impenetrable and that confidence quickly spread to the midfield as Regan Hendry and Kieron Morris stormed through the midfield repeatedly and quickly got the ball into the final third without much resistance.

Morris and Hendry both showed abilities on all fronts of the pitch by executing great tackles and passes and being able to venture into the box but with no success. With very minimal goal threat from Crewe it remained goalless and Morris was taken off in the final minutes of the game.

The second half began with Crewe on the front foot after a tough first half.

Tranmere’s Lee O’Connor was brought down by Ed Turns who went through on goal but Luke McGee made a heroic save to send the ball out for a corner in what was the best chance of the game.

The Railwaymen continued to pile pressure on the home side throughout the second half. Aaron Rowe and Turns impressed as they found space in the box to get multiple shots off as they wore away at a defence that could not be broken in the first half.

The only booking of the game went to Long who saw yellow for kicking the ball away when Tranmere were awarded a free kick.

Crewe made three attacking substitutions in the 75th minute as they continued to chase the first goal of the game.

One of the players that came on was Courtney Baker-Richardson who replaced Elliot Nevitt. He had some impressive runs and moments but he committed several fouls and became quite volatile towards the end as home players repeatedly tried to get fouled by him to take the momentum out of Crewe’s attack.

The result sees Tranmere move up to 37 points and up one position into 16th place.

The draw sees Crewe in fifth place just below fellow play-off hopefuls Wrexham AFC.