By Henry Baines

Two goals from Merseyside striker Paul Mullin broke the hearts of Marine as they were knocked out the FA Cup by Wrexham.

“Overall they were the better side but we had enough chances in the game to cause them problems,” Marine manager Neil Young told Merseysportlive.

After the heartache from the first game which saw Wrexham equalise in the 95th minute, Marine travelled to the Optimum Pay Stadium in Nantwich for the replay.

Wrexham dominated the ball for large spells of the game, but Marine managed to create several quality chances.

The dangerous Neil Kengni was always at the heart of Marine’s best opportunities.

Just five minutes in, Kengni cut into the Wrexham box and got his shot off but it was straight at the Wrexham goalkeeper.

However, the deadlock was broken by Wrexham in the 21st minute as Paul Mullin was set free down the left-hand side.

He cut back onto his right foot, attacked into the box and produced a quality finish which nestled into the top right-hand corner.

Wrexham v Marine about to kick off

“He was the difference tonight in terms of his quality of goals,” added Young.

Marine reacted positively staying solid in defence and creating chances going forward, with another Kengni flying just over the bar 28 minutes in.

But soon after the second half started Marine’s hopes were dealt a big blow.

Another fine Mullin finish deflated Marine’s travelling fans as he was played through, rounded Bayleigh Passant in the Marine goal and tucked the ball away for 2-0.

“We’ve missed a great chance just after half time, and they’ve gone up the other end, we’ve miss-kicked it and they’ve got Mullin whose tucked it away.”

When asked about the 300 plus travelling fans for Marine, Young said: “It’s unbelievable, we’ve sold just over 300 hundred tickets.

“When I first came to the club that was our home attendance, and now we’re bringing 300 away from home, it’s a great credit to them.”

Marine’s heads never dropped and continued to battle right the way to the end but it wasn’t to be as Wrexham progressed to the 1st Round Proper.

“I’m not disappointed with them, we had opportunities tonight even though Wrexham dominated the ball, as you would expect but you’ve got to take those opportunities against better sides,” added Young.

Marine turn their attention to a massive league clash against rivals, City of Liverpool FC.