Mossley AFC breezed past nine man Vauxhall Motors 3-0 at a freezing cold VanEupen Arena on Tuesday night. 

The Motormen were looking to get back to winning ways following Saturday’s defeat away at Newcastle Town. However, after a bright start in Ellesmere Port, William Shepherd headed his side in front before Jack Banister struck moments later. 

Going two behind before the break made the game an uphill battle for Motors, one that was made all the more difficult by the dismissals of both Ethan Gouldbourne and Ben Holmes. Callum Leigh struck the third on the 71st minute mark to seal three points for the visitors.

The collective attitude of the team was questioned by manager Danny Holmes after the game, who believed that his players were guilty of letting their heads drop too easily after trailing to Mossley’s opening strike.

Striker Craig Curran replaced Lewis Buckley, who was sent off during last weekend’s defeat in Staffordshire, in the starting XI. 


However, as the Northern Premier League rules state that the red cards will take effect a week on from the event, Buckley came on for the last 20 minutes as the former Tranmere star had been struggling to have an impact on the game. 

The visitors got close early on as Jack Grundy wheeled past defender Adam Hughes but keeper Ally Hughes was able to save the effort before it went past the line.

They would edge themselves in front on the 21st minute as Shepherd met a cross from Banister at the back post. It was a perfectly placed header from the full-back, nodding into the far corner leaving no chance for Hughes.


Banister went from creator to goalscorer two minutes later, taking aim and striking powerfully past the Motors keeper from outside the box.

With tensions rising and tempers boiling over as the Motors looked to halve the deficit before the break, midfielder Holmes was dismissed for a heavy challenge. His early bath not only left his teammates with a mountain to climb, but made proceedings trickier for his cousin, Motors manager Danny, in the dugout.


Mossley’s number 10 Eden Bailey nearly made it three immediately after the red card was awarded, finding himself in acres of space inside the box, but the striker’s tame effort was fired straight at Hughes.

Holmes evidently motivated his Vauxhall team at half time as they came out with a greater attacking intent. 

Creative midfielder Jordan Deer carved his way through the Mossley midfield with a mazy run before being fouled in a dangerous area. Will Dunne took the set-piece, sending a vicious strike towards the top corner that drew an acrobatic save from Mossley goalkeeper Chris Thompson.

However, Vauxhall’s early second-half momentum soon dissipated, and the 10-men found themselves even further behind after 71 minutes when the visitors added another with a jaw-dropping strike by Callum Leigh following a corner. 


Motors’ difficult evening then went from bad to worse just two minutes later, as defender Gouldbourne was dismissed to reduce the hosts to nine men.

Trailing Mossley’s Eden Bailey as the last defender, Gouldbourne hauled the attacker to the ground to prevent a clear goalscoring opportunity. The full-back turned centre-half had no complaints as he received his marching orders from the referee.

The game was long over as a contest by the time the final whistle eventually blew, ending a forgettable night for Motors.

Attentions immediately turn to Saturday afternoon, when Vauxhall will look to bounce back against high-flying Avro. Mossley meanwhile will be looking to build on their three points this midweek as they host Nantwich Town.